Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
What is Interlibrary Loan?
The term “Interlibrary Loan” or “ILL” refers to various information sharing services between libraries.
Via ILLiad, one can borrow books, microfilm, DVDs, etc. from all types of libraries and also get electronic delivery of articles and chapters. The name ILLiad is an acronym for Interlibrary Loan internet access database.
ILLiad is the system used to manage Interlibrary loan requests.
New Georgia Southern users must create an ILLiad account. Once you have an account, use ILLIad to:
- submit new requests
- track status of requests
- view electronically received articles
- submit requests for renewals
Contact ILL at Henderson Library (Statesboro):
Natalie Logue – ILL Librarian (912) 478-5646
Jessica Williams – ILL Associate (912) 478-5405
Contact ILL at Lane Library (Savannah):
Melissa Jackson – ILL Librarian (912) 344-3125
At other times, Information Services librarians can help you register or make ILLiad requests – ask them at the Information Desk or call (912) 478-5645.
Tips for Interlibrary Loan Success
Before placing your request:
- Start your research early and give yourself plenty of time to submit ILL requests. We aim for quick turnaround, but there are factors that can sometimes delay the process. Those factors are not always in our control.
- Please review the ILL policies & FAQ before placing your first order so you are familiar with the process.
- Before placing any ILL request, please check the library’s online catalog. We may already have what you need. If it’s an article, search by journal title. If it’s a chapter from a book, search by book title.
- If the item you want to request is a book, consider using GIL Express instead of ILL. GIL Express books can be kept 28 days and renewed, while ILL books are often due in two weeks. Plus, GIL Express often has a shorter delivery time.
- Before placing an ILL request for an article, check the library catalog. The article you need may be accessible electronically from one of the library’s many subscription databases. Search by journal title keywords.
- Before placing an ILL request for a Thesis or Dissertation from another university, see if you already have access to the complete PDF in our database Dissertations & Theses with Full Text.
While placing your request:
- There are different templates to choose from for making requests for items in your ILLiad account. If you need a chapter or article, be sure to choose “article or other photocopy” template so you are prompted for all the citation elements.
- If it seems like your request is taking too long, the first thing you should do is check the status of your request via your ILLiad account. You can see if the item has been shipped and any notes staff have made on the request. You can call ILL staff so we can investigate because sometimes there are glitches that need our intervention.
- Keep your ILLiad account contact information up-to-date.
View the Interlibrary Loan/Document Delivery/GIL-Express LibGuide for Tutorial Videos and frequently asked questions.
Policies and FAQ
Last updated: 6/3/2019