What is GIL Express?
GIL Express is an initiative whereby circulating books may be ordered directly from any University System of Georgia Library. The subject matter is not limited to research interests; hobby and pleasure reading are perfectly acceptable. In most cases materials are sent to and checked out from the patron’s home library, but patrons may ask that their items be sent to any University System library for pickup. All faculty, staff, and students in good standing are eligible to use the service
Instructions for using GIL Express
- Access all the information about GIL Express at http://gilexpress.usg.edu including a map of USG libraries, FAQ’s and a link to the Universal Catalog of Georgia – https://giluc.usg.edu Search for books – only circulating books may be ordered through GIL Express. Hint: Search may take a while. If it does not work, try another browser.
- Click on the desired title to see a display of the item record and check its Status to determine if it is checked out, lost, or otherwise unavailable for loan. If it’s available at one or more libraries, click on GIL Express Request.
- Select your Home Institution from the drop-down menu, enter your Georgia Southern Eagle ID and PIN, enter your last name, and click on Access My GIL Account.
- At the next screen, click on OK to choose GIL Express Request .
- At the next screen, enter your Eagle ID in the requested field, choose a Pick-Up Library, and click on Submit Request.
- You should see the message Your GIL Express Request Was Successful. The notification that the request was successful means that the request itself went through successfully, but does not guarantee the item will be sent. In most cases the book will be supplied, but on rare occasions it will not. To be sure the request was accepted, you may wish to click on My Account and review the information displayed.
- Occasionally a request will fail. If the item is available at the patron’s home library the request will fail; if the item is checked out, missing, etc, or otherwise not available for checkout; if the item is a reference book, archival item, or otherwise is not supposed to circulate; or if the borrower is blocked because he or she has overdue books, the request will fail.
How do I check the status of my GIL Express Request?
Check the progress of your requests through the My Account option available on either the Universal Catalog (https://giluc.usg.edu/) or the Henderson Library Catalog (http://gilfind.georgiasouthern.edu). When My Account shows that the book has arrived at the library, ask for it at the Checkout Desk.
GIL Express Tips for Success
GIL Express allows a generous 28 day checkout plus two renewals. However, you must renew or return them before the due date or your account will be blocked. In establishing the circulation policies, the University System decided not to charge fines. But in order to deter abuse, all members agreed that there would be no overriding overdues by the local library.
Check your account or call the Checkout Desk at (912) 478-5647 to see if your book has arrived.
Be aware that if a Henderson Library book is checked out, you may request that title through GIL Express. It is perfectly acceptable to ask that the Henderson Library book be recalled and place a GIL Express request at the same time.
Textbooks may not be borrowed through GIL Express or Interlibrary Loan.
What’s the difference between ILL (ILLiad) and GIL Express?
|What types of items can be ordered?||For ordering articles, books, DVD, dissertations, etc from libraries worldwide||For ordering circulating books from the 35 USG libraries only|
|Items requested for what purpose?||Items needed for academic research.||Books for pleasure reading or academic research.|
|How to Use it?||Complete one-time set up of ILLiad account, log in, place request. http://webill.lib.georgiasouthern.edu /illiad/logon.html||Locate books on the GIL Universal Catalog (https://giluc.usg.edu/), follow steps to make request. Must have a library account PIN to use GIL-Express.|
|What to do with the items borrowed?||Articles—Yours to keep. Save any PDFs to your hard drive. Books or other returnable items must be returned by the due date to the Henderson Library||Books must be returned or renewed by the due date. You may return them to the Henderson Library or to any USG library near you.|
Last updated: 12/12/2014