- Henderson Library has an integrated search tool called DISCOVER that provides a Google-like search experience. The search box is available on the library web page.
- DISCOVER is not a database or updated version of the catalog.
- A single search box search can search most GALILEO databases, high quality web resources & the library catalog simultaneously.
- It differs from Google in that it searches only library resources & selected scholarly web sites.
- Search results include journal articles as well as books, DVDs, and other materials.
- The number of results can be reduced by selecting Search Options and then limiting the search by discipline.
- Many of the results are full-text with direct links from the results list.
- The initial search defaults to resources available on campus, both print and online.
- To search for materials beyond Georgia Southern, remove the check from default checkbox.
- A mobile version of DISCOVER automatically displays on smartphones.
- DISCOVER is designed for all library users to begin with a broad search and then narrow it by facets.
- Searches may be narrowed by facets or limiters on left side of screen after initial results.
- All searches are keyword searches regardless of the field searched.
- The default search is “all words.”
- Radio buttons below the search box are useful to designate the initial search as keyword, title or author. The search is still a keyword search rather than an exact search, but the search is limited to certain fields.
- Use quotation marks with phrases to limit your results combined with the radio buttons for author, title or keyword.
- Boolean operators may be used.
- The full text of some resources can be searched but full text searching must be selected as an option.
- Database hits are included in the facets and can provide information about the most relevant databases to search further if needed.
- The traditional catalog and all GALILEO native interfaces will remain available for experienced library users who may desire more specific searching for some projects.
- The Library will provide any kind of instruction or presentation that faculty or students may need related to DISCOVER or any other library resource. A librarian will visit the department and provide a demonstration; provide instruction for a class; or provide a one-on-one session! Let us know what you need.
- The library can provide customized subject or discipline DISCOVER links for your area. Ask your liaison if a customized subject DISCOVER link has already been created for your discipline.
For information contact the Information Desk at (912) 478-5645
Last updated: 8/16/2015