Henderson Library Computer Use
- There are more than 300 Windows computers for students located in open areas on the 1st and 2nd floors. 25 Mac computers are located in the Learning Commons All general use computers are connected to shared printers.
- Additional computers for special purposes like scanning, video production, etc. are located in the Learning Commons.
- Every study room is equipped with a computer.
- All computers require users to login with their MyGeorgiaSouthern credentials. Community users must request a login account at the Checkout Desk and may only use computers in the Family Area on the East side of the 2nd floor.
- Dedicated Library Catalog terminals are also located at the Checkout Desk and on the 3rd and 4th floors to help with finding books.
- Computer assistance is available at the Information Desk. Limited assistance is available from the Checkout Desk between midnight and 8 a.m. when the Information Desk is closed
What am I allowed to do on Library Computers? Can I download music?
The Zach S. Henderson Library has set rules and regulations on computer use as necessary to ensure that all library users have free and equal access. Patrons are only allowed to use one workstation at a time. The library reserves the right to prohibit the use of its computers for activities not directly related to research, study or administrative functions. The burning of cd’s is allowed, but you must adhere to the copyright law which prohibits the unauthorized reproduction or distribution of copyrighted materials, except as permitted by the principles of “fair use.” Users may not copy or distribute electronic material mail, text, images, programs or data and sound video clips,) without the explicit permission of the copyright holder. Any responsibility for any consequences of copyright infringement lies with the user. The library expressly disclaims any liability or responsibility arising from access to or use of information obtained through its electronic information system, or any consequences thereof.
What do I do if someone near me is using a computer to view pornography?
Sometimes library computer users may view material from the Internet which may be considered offensive to others. If a library computer user finds him/herself is offended then (s)he may go to the nearest help desk and report the offense to the library employee on duty. Because the library employee in most instances cannot determine whether the offensive material is for academic purposes, the library employee cannot ask the viewer to cease unless the viewer is a minor or there is absolute certainty the viewing has no academic purpose. The library employee will ask the complainant if (s)he would like to move to another computer away from the viewer of the offensive material. If the complainant says “yes” then the library employee will assist that person by finding an available computer away from the offensive material being viewed. Otherwise, the viewer will be asked to relocate to another computer and (s)he will be assisted with moving to an available computer away from public view to ensure
- no one is offended by the material and
- the viewer can continue his/her academic work.
If a library employee can determine with 100% certainty the offensive material being viewed is not for academic purposes then the library employee reserves the right to ask the viewer to cease. If the viewer refuses to cease then one or more actions may be taken:
- (s)he may be asked to leave the library with or without campus security
- (s)he may lose computer use privileges
- (s)he may appear before the University Judicial Board
- any other action deemed necessary by the Library Administration
For additional policies on computer usage, please see University’s Information Technology Services policies page.
Printing at Henderson Library
- Printing is paid for by the Student Technology Fee
- Each student receives 1500 points per semester. Points have no monetary value and do not rollover. There are no refunds.
- Printer points are for use in computer labs and the Library only. They are NOT accepted at Eagle Print Shop
- Black & white pages cost 1 point per 8.5 x 11” page.
- Color pages cost 5 points per 8.5 x 11” page OR 10 points per 11 x 17” page.
- For 11 x 17 paper, ask a student at the Information Desk
- To check your print balance go to MyGS > Tech Resources > Print Credits >
- Points are deducted when a print job is sent from the release station to the printer.
- If you get down to 100 points and wish to appeal for more, complete the Student Printing Appeal form available in MyGS.
Community members may set up a printing account at the Checkout Desk and deposit money into the account to print.
There is no special printing. ONLY Library supplied paper is to be used for print jobs. No other paper or surface is accepted in the Library printers. For special print jobs, contact Printing and Postal Services.
To print brochures, ask for assistance at the Information Desk.
To use Mobile Printing, GO HERE. You can print virtually any document or web page from an Internet connected PC, laptop, tablet or smartphone. Be sure to use your Georgia Southern email address, then stop by the Learning Commons release station to send your document to the printer. It’s that simple! Note: Print jobs will be held for 48 hours.
For all other questions regarding printing, please contact the Information Desk by:
- visiting the Library, 2nd Floor
- calling 912-478-5645
- chatting @ https://library.georgiasouthern.edu/ask/
All general use Windows computers in the Library have basic software installed depending upon the OS:
- Browsers (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari)
- Multimedia Plugins
- Microsoft Office
- Utilities (SFTP, Zip, etc.)
|7-Zip 9.20||All computers except iMacs|
|Adam 2018||2nd floor West - Carroll building side|
|Adobe Creative Cloud 2018||All computers except 1st floor -open lab|
|Adobe LiveCycle Designer||1st floor - open lab|
|Adobe Acrobat DC||All computers|
|Ansys 19.1||2nd floor West - Carroll building side|
|Architecure 2019||2nd floor - near Writing Center, 2nd floor - Learning Commons, 2nd floor West - Carroll building side|
|ArcGIS Desktop 10.6||2nd floor - near Writing Center, 2nd floor - Learning Commons|
|AutoCad(AutoDesk) 2019||1st floor - open lab, 1st floor - Study Rooms, 2nd floor - near Writing Center, 2nd floor - Learning Commons, 2nd floor West - Carroll building side|
|Blue J||1st floor - open lab, 1st floor - Study Rooms|
|Civil 3D 2019||2nd floor - near Writing Center, 2nd floor - Learning Commons, 2nd floor West - Carroll building side|
|Circuit Design 14||2nd floor West - Carroll building side|
|Eclipse||1st floor - open lab|
|Eikon||2nd floor - near Writing Center|
|eQuest 3-64||2nd floor - near Writing Center, 2nd floor - Learning Commons|
|Endnote 9||All computers except 1st floor - study rooms, 2nd floor East - Family Side, and iMacs|
|Google Earth||1st floor - open lab, 2nd floor - near Writing Center|
|jGRASP||1st floor - open lab|
|JMP Pro 13.1||3rd floor and 4th floor|
|IronPython 2.7||1st floor - open lab, 2nd floor West - Carroll building side, and 3rd floor and 4th floor|
|LabView 2015||2nd floor West - Carroll building side|
|Maple 18||1st floor - open lab, 1st floor - Study Rooms, 2nd floor West - Carroll building side|
|MATLAB 2018a||All computers except iMacs|
|Microsoft Access 2016||All computers|
|Microsoft Office 2016||All computers|
|Microsoft Project||1st floor - open lab|
|Microsoft SQL Server Mgmt Studio 2016||1st floor - open lab|
|MiniTab||1st floor - open lab|
|Naviswork Freedom 2019||1st floor - Study Rooms, 2nd floor - near Writing Center, 2nd floor West - Carroll building side|
|Notepad++||All computers except 1st floor - Study Rooms|
|PuTTY||All computers except 1st floor - Study Rooms and iMacs|
|QuickTime||2nd floor - Apple iMacs|
|Respondus Lockdown Browser 2||All computers except 2nd floor - near Writing Center, 2nd floor East - Family Area, and iMacs|
|Revit 2019||2nd floor West - Carroll building side, and 3rd floor|
|SAP Netweaver||1st floor - open lab, 2nd floor - near Writing Center, 2nd floor - Learning Commons|
|SAS 9.4||3rd floor and 4th floor|
|SolidWorks 2018||2nd floor West - Carroll building side|
|SPSS (IBM)Statistics 25||All computers except 1st floor study rooms|
|Stata 15||1st floor - open lab|
|Vectorworks||2nd floor - near Writing Center|
|VLC media player||All computers except iMacs|
|Visio (Part of Microsoft Office)||1st floor - open lab, 2nd floor - near Writing Center, 2nd floor - Learning Commons|
|Visual Studio 2015||1st floor - open lab, 2nd floor - near Writing Center, 2nd floor - Learning Commons|
|VMWare Workstation||1st floor - open lab, 2nd floor - near Writing Center, 2nd floor - Learning Commons|
|WinSCP||All computers except iMacs|
|Wolfram Mathematica 11.3||All computers except iMacs|
Last updated: 2/15/2019