Library Resource Updates for January
The University Libraries are happy to announce the following updates to our collections:
GALILEO Upgrades Three EBSCO Databases
GALILEO has upgraded the following three databases for all USG institutions, including Georgia Southern University. These databases have been updated accordingly on the Library website:
- Legal Collection is now Legal Source. Legal Source includes over 1100 full-text journals, more than 420 law reviews, and indexing for yearbooks, statutes, and other publications. See the expanded title list here. Legal Source is available via the A-Z Database List, GIL-Find, and Discover @ Georgia Southern.
- Literary Reference Center is now Literary Reference Center Plus. Literary Reference Center Plus includes expanded content, including more full-text novels, literary journals, poems, and fiction. See the expanded title list here. Literary Reference Center Plus is available via the A-Z Database List, GIL-Find, and Discover @ Georgia Southern.
- Newspaper Source is now Newspaper Source Plus. Newspaper Source Plus includes 1200 full-text newspapers (over 800 more than the basic Newspaper Source), over 40 news magazines, and over 130 newswires. See the expanded title list here. Newspaper Source Plus is available via the A-Z Database List, GIL-Find, and Discover @ Georgia Southern.
Georgia Antebellum Newspapers Are Now Freely Available Online
As part of a $14,495 grant from the R. J. Taylor, Jr. Foundation, the Digital Library of Georgia has digitized approximately 53,930 pages of Georgia newspaper titles published prior to 1861 from microfilm held by the Georgia Newspaper Project. The project creates full-text searchable versions of the newspapers and presents them online for free in its Georgia Historic Newspapers database in accordance with technical guidelines developed by the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress for the National Digital Newspaper Program. For more information, see the Digital Library of Georgia blog.
138 pre-Civil War titles have been digitized from the following Georgia cities: Albany, Americus, Athens, Atlanta, Augusta, Auraria, Calhoun, Carrollton, Cartersville, Cassville, Clarkesville, Columbus, Covington, Cuthbert, Darien, Forsyth, Ft. Hawkins, Greensboro, Griffin, Hamilton, Louisville, Lumpkin, Macon, Madison, Mount Zion, Newnan, Oglethorpe, Penfield, Petersburg, Rome, Savannah, Sparta, Thomaston, Thomasville, Warrenton, and Washington.
For more information, Ask Us!
- Zach S. Henderson Library: Contact the Research Services Desk at 912-478-5645.
- Lane Library: Contact the Reference Desk at 912-344-3026.
Posted in Hours and Special Alerts