The new Marvin Pittman School building, completed in 1952, was dedicated
to Dr. Pittman and was recognized nationally for its "valued service" until
its closing in 1998.
|"Lab-School dedication was most fitting Tribute..."
"Dr. Pittman's outstanding
Joyner, Beth N.
|Althought written about the Marvin Pittman
Laboratory School, Dr. Pittman's educational legacy can clear be seen in
the sentiment expressed in "What is Pittman?"
WHAT IS PITTMAN?
PITTMAN is an idea:
PITTMAN is tradition:
PITTMAN is spirit:
PITTMAN is an awareness:
PITTMAN is faith:
Mr. J.A. Pafford
|"In 1935 President Pittman, ..., approached the Rosenwald
Fund directors with a carefully prepared study outlining the needs of rural
education in south Georgia. The out come of this is important meeting
was the approval of a $30,000 grant..."
"According to the Rosenwald Fund directors, T.C. was chosen as a recipient for several reasons: (1) it was in the heart of the state's largest rural area; (2) T.C. was already recognized as a leader in rural education; and (3) President Pittman was a nationally known leader in this specialty."
"By the time the Rosenwald Fund was terminated in 1948,
our school had received $75,666 in grants and scholarships."
Rosenwald grants and scholarships included Thirty $250 scholarships
awarded to teaching applicants throughout Georgia and funds for the
establishment of Denmark Junior High School as a model for rural teaching
In 1938 the New Library, "The Rosenwald Building" was dedicated to the
generosity of Julius Rosenwald.
|Mature pine trees which were located on what is now Georgia Southern University property were used by Dr. Herty and his associate Frank Klarpp to test their newly developed "cup an gutter" technique of resin collection. The new technigue which as highly successful over the old "boxing" method served to revolutonize the naval stores industry. Dr. Herty also devised the first system for manufacturing newsprint from southern pines.|
The following year in April 1936, the original pine tree on which Dr. Herty had begun his experiment was felled and a section of it preserved at the campus.
"The tributes to Herty in the 1930's are examples of ways in which President
Pittman sought to publicize T.C's heritage, while at the same time emphasizing
our role and promise for the future."
Dr. Pittman, Dr. Charles Herty, and other campus officials at the site of the dedication of a three-acre "Herty Pines" sight.
Photograph taken from Georgia Southern: Seventy-Five Years of Progress and Service by T. Ray Shurbutt
Return to Home Page