Services for Faculty & Staff
The faculty and staff at Zach S. Henderson Library welcome you to Georgia Southern University. The library, renovated and expanded (2006-2009) is an inviting, comfortable and productive space. Ongoing upgrading occurs to insure that your needs for high speed, electronic connectivity to suites of subject databases (often full-text) that match courses both traditional and new are in place no matter where you are, be it a campus office or an exotic research locale.
The Library is the primary collector of materials in all formats that support the University’s curriculum. In addition to its main collections, the Library is a U.S. Government Document depository. Our Special Collections unit contains local and regional archival material, many of which have been scanned to make them available digitally.
Digital Commons@GeorgiaSouthern is an open access digital collection whose purpose is to collect and disseminate the intellectual and creative output of the University’s faculty, staff and students. Contributions come from all over campus and include theses/dissertations, conference proceedings, research publications, brochures, and newsletters.
Please take a look at our online subject guides developed for majors in each of the colleges. Standard print sources along with online resources are included for the convenience of your students.
The Library Liaison Program was created to provide better engagement with academic departments across campus. Outreach to faculty members in their departments is the best way to: 1) support their teaching; 2) better match library collections to suit undergraduate needs; and 3) improve access to those materials. We want to become the familiar and friendly face of information resources for faculty and students across campus.
- Each librarian is available for one-on-one consultations. New faculty just getting acquainted with our library resources in general or returning faculty who want updating on new electronic additions find these sessions helpful. We would be happy to show your our standard fare and new products. Please call us at (912)478-5645 or email us to set up an appointment time.
- Hold special seminars in the library or in your college on information resource related topics for faculty at your request. (Some advance notice is required but we’ll be as nimble as possible for hot topics of interest to you.)
- Teach Bibliographic Instruction to your classes and prepare customized hand-outs for these BI sessions that can be accessed through eReserves. Requests for instruction may be submitted online. Hands-on instruction is also available.
- Create subject guides for your discipline. If you have preferred websites and print titles that you want included, please email your references to us. We will make them accessible from the library home page. You are welcome to post them on your department or college web page as well.
- We are happy to collaborate with researchers on data management plans (DMP’s) for grant proposals. Our institutional repository is provided as a freely accessible, perpetual, online archive for the intellectual output of anyone at Georgia Southern University. This can be a crucial element of your data management plan. We also provide a template for your DMP. Simply save a copy of this Google Doc and edit as appropriate. Your librarians, along with the Office of Research Services & Sponsored Programs, are happy to assist you with your data management plan.
For more information about the Library Liaisons and a contact list see our Library Liaisons page.
There are many services available for all of our users listed on our Services menu. In addition we have services that are aimed specifically at the needs of faculty.
ILLIAD: Georgia Southern University faculty are eligible for Document Delivery services as well as Interlibrary Loan. Any item needed as a loan or photocopy can be requested via an ILLiad account. If we own the item, we will supply it from our library. If we don’t own the item, we will request it from another library. Articles will be delivered electronically via the ILLiad account. Books and other borrowed items are mailed to faculty offices or are picked up at the checkout/reserves desk, as is anything deemed “library use only” by owning library such as newspaper microfilm. Faculty on Educational Leave or away from Statesboro for the summer can have books mailed to their current address.
Reserves/E-reserves: Faculty may request that books, articles, or audiovisual materials be placed on reserve, either in traditional or electronic reserve form. When placing an item on e-reserve, the Library staff will scan the material then link it to the Library’s catalog. A Reserves Entry Form is available. Contact: Deb Bever, (912) 478-5647 or email@example.com
Borrowing Privileges: Books are checked out to faculty for the academic year, although they are subject to recall after three weeks. DVDs and videocassettes are due in seven days. The immediate family of faculty are allowed to check out up to five items at a time.
Faculty Authorizations: By filling out our Faculty Authorization form, faculty may give their student assistants or graduate assistants permission to check out materials in their names. Please download the form (MS Word) to print, sign, and return to us. Contact: Library Checkout Desk, (912) 478-5647.