FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I find the new GALILEO password?
The GALILEO password changes four times per year. Click here for three ways to find the GALILEO password.
- Where do I place items on Library Reserve for my students?
Here is a brief explanation of Library Reserve Guidelines along with copy of the Reserves Entry Form that may be printed out and brought with you to place items on reserve. For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (912) 478-5482.
- What about photocopying in the library?
Copies can be made for 10cents per page with an Eagle Express Card or with currency.
- How do I obtain Interlibrary Loans (ILL)?
Register for an ILLiad account so you can receive Interlibrary Loans and Document Delivery materials. The link to ILLiad is on Library’s homepage. Click on “new user.” Once you have registered, you can immediately begin making requests for articles, books, microfilm, music scores, DVDs, etc.
Faculty are also eligible for Document Delivery – which is the service of requesting items owned by Henderson Library. In your ILLiad account, you may request items that Henderson Library does or does not own. Articles will usually be delivered to you electronically via your ILLiad account. (Remember to first search Electronic Journals A-Z from Library’s homepage to see if you already have electronic access to the journal you need.) Books and other borrowed materials will be mailed to your office unless the item is “In Library Use Only.” For much more information about these services, see the ILLiad FAQ or contact the ILL/DD office – email@example.com or (912) 478-5405.
[ILLiad links to http://webill.lib.georgiasouthern.edu/illiad/logon.html
[Electronic Journals A-Z links to http://sfx.galib.uga.edu/gso1/az/]
[ILLiad FAQ links to http://webill.lib.georgiasouthern.edu/illiad/FAQ.html]
Where is the current list of faculty salaries at Georgia Southern?
Go to the Circulation/Reserves Desk on the second floor and ask for the most current "Fiscal Year Budget" for Georgia Southern only.
- Where is the list for University System of Georgia statewide faculty salaries?
Go to the Department of Audits for the State of Georgia website.
Or Go to the library catalog. Type in "Report of the State Auditor" in the Title Search category. Then scan down to the Linked Resource entry for the "200? Compilation Report for Salary, Travel, and Per Diem" and click on it.
Go to the Reference Desk and ask for the print version of the Report of the State Auditor. It is a multi-volume set with one volume devoted to Salary, Travel, Per Diem tables. Please note that it is usually 1 to 2 years old. The Call Number is REF HJ11.G42.
- Where can I find the information about the Henderson Library's Subscription and Databases Review?
Please click the web link at Henderson Library Subscription and Databases Review.
For more detailed information, please contact Jonathan Harwell at (912) 478-5114. Or, send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How do I arrange a library tour for my class or classes?
Please call the Reference Desk at (912) 478-5645 for tour scheduling or complete the online request form. The librarian on duty records your request. When it is formally scheduled, you will be notified by the librarian assigned to conduct your tour. We appreciate an advance notice of at least 10 days. Spur of the moment requests for tours are not accepted. The tour schedule is too crowded to accommodate last minute entries.
- How are books and serials added to the library collection to close gaps in my field?
Zach S. Henderson Library has a comprehensive Approval Plan with Blackwell North America. This plan provides for the automatic shipment of new academic books published and distributed in the United States. The Library uses the approval plan as a primary tool to build and maintain a core collection. A detailed description of the type of academic books the library wishes to acquire is provided to the approval vendor. These descriptions are called profiles. Each week the vendor receives books from publishers and compares the books with our profile. The books that match our profile are received in weekly shipments. As the books are processed in the Collection and Resource Services Department they are placed on shelves for review and records are entered into the Library's OPAC.
The Library Committee, a standing committee of the Faculty Senate, advises the Dean of the Library on budget allocations, resources, and services. Each year the academic departments appoint or elect a Library Liaison to this committee. Give your request to this person with as much bibliographical information as you can find. A resource called WorldCat in GALILEO tracks books and publications owned by libraries worldwide. The Information Services Librarians will be happy to help locate titles that are problematic.
Each academic department maintains a modest library collection budget to purchase books that are not acquired through the approval plan. See your Department Chair about these funds.
The Dean of the Library is available to meet with anyone to discuss library schedules, services, and collectionsľor anything else. Contact the office for a formal appointment to see the Dean at (912) 478-5115 or drop in when you visit the library. Comments submitted to the Dean of the Library via electronic mail should be sent to this address: email@example.com.
Or fill out our electronic form to make a Suggestion of an Addition to Library Collections.
- Where do Faculty go for computer workshops and a computer lab for learning new programs?
See the Emerging Technology Center (ETC) web site. ETC, formerly Distance Learning, now comprises WebCT administration, Distance Learning, and technology training for faculty. A list of workshops offered by ETC, based on skill level is available online. Electronic sign up is forthcoming. Until then please contact ETC at (912) 478-0882 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Faculty are also welcomed to attend library workshops.
- How do I renew books online at Zach S. Henderson Library?
- Go to the library homepage at http://library.georgiasouthern.edu.
- Click on Library Catalog and Collections
- Click on Library Catalog
- Click on Your account
- Login: Enter ID number. Enter last name. Click the "Logon" button.
- Check the boxes of the books you want to renew
- Click "Renew Items"
- Note: A/V Reserve or Lost items (22 or more days overdue) cannot be renewed. Stop in at the Circulation/Reserves Desk or call them at (912) 478-5647 for assistance.
- Why am I unable to find out the current GALILEO password when I attempt to enter my "Your Account" box via the Library Catalog page?
You may have overdue books from the Henderson library (faculty renew annually in the Spring semester). Check with staff at the Circulation Desk at (912) 478-5647 when this occurs.
- How do I request books that are currently checked out by others at GSU?
- Hold/Recall Requests: When a book is checked out you may place a Hold on it so that it will be held for you when it is returned. If it is overdue it will be Recalled. The online request form is available on our catalog, the printed form is available at the Circulation Desk. Contact: Circdes@georgiasouthern.edu. You may opt for the GIL Express service to locate a copy from another USG library instead of placing a hold. See next question.
- What is the GIL Express (Books ONLY) Service?
- GIL Express is a service being offered at all libraries within the University System of Georgia (USG). The service is an innovative resource sharing initiative that allows students, faculty, and staff access to all eligible circulating material at all USG libraries. GIL Express is available to all eligible patrons through both an on site (walk up) requesting service and a remote requesting service.
- In addition to online renewals, what other Circulation Department functions should faculty be aware of?
- Circulation of Library Materials: The Faculty loan period for books and most other materials is the academic year, but the books can be recalled after 21 days if not renewed. Compact Discs, DVDs, and videorecordings circulate for three days.
- Faculty Authorizations: By filling out our Faculty Authorization forms, faculty may give their student assistants permission to check out materials in their names. Contact: (912) 478-5647.
- Hold/Recall Requests: When a book is checked out you may place a Hold on it so that it will be held for you when it is returned. If it is overdue it will be Recalled. The online request form is available on our catalog, the printed form is available at the Circulation Desk. Contact: (912) 478-5647 e-mail email@example.com.
- Reservations for Audiovisual Materials: Access Services will reserve a video or other audio visual item for viewing in class at your request. Contact: (912) 478-5482 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Search Requests: If materials are not checked out but are not in their proper places on the shelves, you can request that Access Services personnel search for the materials and notify you when they are found. Search Request Forms are available at the Circulation Desk.
- Suggestions: Contact: Department Head Fred Smith, (912) 478-5647 or email email@example.com.
- How do I obtain off Campus Access to Library Resources?
All of the electronic databases are alphabetically integrated into a master list or organized by Subject Tabs in GALILEO. They are password protected. Please remember that the password changes each Fall and Spring semester and twice again for each of the two summer sessions. To obtain instructions for securing the password via "Your Account" go to the library catalog. From the library web page, go to the Quick Menu. Click on it and scan down and select GALILEO Password.
- How do I get the library to add software to their computers for my students to use?
Begin by completing a software installation request form.
If there are licensing costs associated with this software, the library will generally ask your department to cover those costs. Because of the library network requirements, software installation does not always go quickly or smoothly. Please give as much lead time as possible, and plan on your students discovering technical difficulties using the software, especially during the first semester. In order for us to install software, we must have written permission from the manufacturer giving the library explicit permission to install and use this software at Georgia Southern. Please forward such a license agreement to: David Lowder, P.O. Box 8074 or call (912) 478-5035 for additional information.
What if I cannot access GALILEO?
When difficulties arise, the easiest solution is to change the browser from Explorer to Netscape or vice-versa. When this fails go to the GALILEO home page (do not confuse it with the library home page). Go to the “Quick Help” yellow box on the right where it says, “How do I…” Click on it and scan down to the line that says, “configure my computer?…” Click on it and look at appropriate headings. For example there are instructions on how “To enable first and third party cookies” or “To delete cookies..” and more.
Return to Henderson Library
Last updated 10/4/2010.