Proofing Data Entry
Printouts from daily bibliographic record editing are placed in folders
marked with the date the edits were made. The folders are collected by
the designated cataloging assistant each Friday. They are reviewed for
typographical errors, omitted or added lines, or other data entry
errors based on the cataloger’s printout.
Corrections are made and problems are researched as necessary.
New folders are placed in the box on the student assistant’s
workstation when the completed printouts are collected.
Information in need of adjustment often becomes evident in the course
of daily workflow. The following are general guidelines for editing
Our unit (Resource Management) is responsible for initial and follow-up
edits on all monographic bibliographic and holding
- We will make these edits according to the guidelines of the usual
- We will edit fields in older records to correct errors that
affect the library user’s ability to retrieve the item (call number,
- We will edit fields in older records to restore lost information.
- We will not recatalog older items to fit current cataloging
Our unit (Resource Management) is only responsible for retrospective
project work on item records. All initial information will be entered
into the item record by Collection Development, Serials Management, or
- We will edit the item record to reflect withdrawn status when
removing items from the collection. These items do not go through
- We will edit the item record when relocating material within the
collection to reflect the intended destination.
- We will make corrections on item records for material given to
this unit for other project work. The majority of these items can be
reshelved after the records are edited and are not in need of