Items returning from Access Services after circulating on-the-fly will
need full cataloging.
Serial volumes in previously cataloged titles may be matched to
bibliographic records already in Voyager by the Resource Management staff
assistant. On-the-Fly item records will be edited and re-linked to the serial
Serial volumes in uncataloged titles will require bibliographic
record search in OCLC and record import into Voyager. MFHDs will be created
following the pattern for serials MFHDs and On-the-Fly item records will be
edited and re-linked to the serial MFHD. Bibliographic and Holding record
printouts will be sent to the Serials Cataloger.
Serial on-the-fly workflow
- Search the record by MFHD call number (SuDoc number). If
full cataloging is in Voyager, this search will retrieve the record and the
on-the fly record. If this search doesn’t retrieve the on-the fly record,
try scanning the barcode. If there are no results for any of the searches,
please consult a cataloger.
- When both records are retrieved, select Window/ Tile to
display the records side by side.
- Check the Full bibliographic record to verify that the piece matches
- Retrieve the Holding record for the fully cataloged record and
edit as you would for a new Shipping list title (Leader, 008, 852 $b, etc.)
- Add an 852, subfield x note: On-the-fly items linked
- Save to the Database
- Write down the Holding record number for the Full cataloging
- With the edited MFHD displayed, select Record/ Retrieve by barcode
and scan the barcode for the piece.
- Check the Item record information for accuracy and edit as necessary.
- With the Item record displayed, select Record/Relink to a different
holding and type in the MFHD number that you wrote down.
- Close the Item Record.
- Get Items and delete the item with no barcode. (Preserving the
Item record created by Access Services retains the circulation history.)
- Print the MFHD and close
- Print the full cataloging record and close
- Delete the On-the-fly MFHD and Brief Bibliographic record
- Staple the printouts together and write Serial on-the-fly on them
- Route the printouts to the Serials Cataloger for full cataloging
- Route the volume(s) to the shelf