Items returning from Access Services after circulating on-the-fly will
need full cataloging.
Items barcoded on matching bibliographic records in Voyager by Government
Documents staff will need cataloging review.
All monographic items may be matched to bibliographic records
already in Voyager by Government Documents staff. A barcode placed in the
book will be scanned into the Item record in Voyager. Holding record fixed
fields should follow the pattern set up for new monographic shipping list
items. Enter the location GOVDOCS into the 852 field, subfield b for all On-the-fly
pieces. This location allows retrieval of the title for cataloging review.
We no longer need printouts of the titles sent to CRS if we use this location
for all On-the-Fly pieces. When cataloging review is complete, the location
will be edited to reflect the actual shelf location of the piece.
Monographic on-the-fly workflow (Government Documents)
Library users may request items from the Government Documents staff that
are not barcoded in Voyager. As the transaction permits, the Government Documents
Assistant will search Voyager by SuDoc number or title for a bibliographic
record that matches the piece. Critical matching points are:
When a record is determined a match, the existing MFHD is coded according
to standards for monographs and given a Holding Record location of GOVDOCS.
Item Record Permanent Location should also be set to GOVDOCS.
- SuDoc number
The Resource Management Staff Assistant will run a report each morning and
retrieve all titles done in the GOVDOCS location on the previous day. This
list will be printed and cataloging for the records will be reviewed and marked
complete with an appropriate 998 field.
Monographic on-the-fly workflow (Resource Management)
- Search the record by MFHD call number (SuDoc number). If
full cataloging is in Voyager, this search will retrieve the record and
the on-the fly record. If this search doesn’t retrieve the on-the fly record,
try scanning the barcode. If there are no results for any of the searches,
please consult a cataloger.
- When both records are retrieved, select Window/ Tile to
display the records side by side.
- Check the Full bibliographic record to verify that the piece matches
- Retrieve the Holding record for the fully cataloged record and
edit as you would for a new Shipping list title (Leader, 008, 852 $b, etc.)
- Write down the Holding record number for the Full cataloging
- With the edited MFHD displayed, select Record/ Retrieve by barcode
and scan the barcode for the piece.
- Check the Item record information for accuracy and edit as necessary.
- With the Item record displayed, select Record/Relink to a different
holding and type in the MFHD number that you wrote down.
- Close the Item Record.
- Get Items and delete the item with no barcode. (Preserving the
Item record created by Access Services retains the circulation history.)
- Close the MFHD and Full cataloging bibliographic record.
- Delete the On-the-fly MFHD and Brief Bibliographic record.