GPO is undertaking a cataloging initiative to catalog all
retrospective publications. We may be ready to enter these retrospective
titles into Voyager before bibliographic records are available in OCLC. We
will not catalog these as "new" in OCLC.
New shipping list titles are sent from Marcive with temp records in Voyager.
This Marcive temp is replaced with full cataloging when available.We will
follow a similar procedure for titles already in the documents collection
when full cataloging is not available in OCLC. A local temp record will be
entered into Voyager and will remain in the database until full bibliographic
records are available.
Logging on to Voyager
Local temp records are for our catalog only. Log on to Voyager Cataloging
in the CRS
Setting up templates for the local temp record
Create a bibliographic template in Voyager for local Government Documents
- Select File/ Template/ New/ Bibliographic from the Menu Bar
- Add fields and subfields as would be required for a very brief
record of the bibliographic data for the documents material. Recommended
fields are: 049, 074, 086, 245, 260, 300, 440 or 490, 500, and 998
- Select File/ Save As to save the new bibliographic template.
The template should be saved to the same location on your C: drive as the
existing Voyager templates.
Setting Voyager preferences
Voyager Options/ Preferences must be set to the new bibliographic template
before creating local temp records.
- Select Options/ Preferences
- Select the Folders/Files tab
- In the Templates section, click on the 3 dots beside the Bib: template
- Browse the C: drive for the new bibliographic template
- Click OK
Creating and Editing Local temps
Many government publications have previous editions. Check OCLC for
cataloging of a previous edition of the title that you are working on. This
earlier record may be imported to Voyager and edited to serve as a temp for
the later edition. Do not update the library's holdings (symbol) in OCLC.
- Remove all bibliographic fields preceding the 049 field if
the record for a previous edition is used.
- Edit the fixed field and 260 field dates to match the piece.
- Verify all other bibliographic information, editing fields
as necessary to match this later edition.
- Add a 998 field including the month and year in subfield
f and docmontemp or docsertemp in subfield g.
- Save the local temp record to the database.
If no bibliographic record is available in OCLC, create a local temp record
using the Voyager template.
- Select Record/ New/ Bibliographic
- Fill in the bibliographic fields from the piece you are cataloging
- Enter the year and month into the 998 $f
- Enter docmontemp or docsertemp into the 998 $g
- Save the local temp record to the database
- Click on New Holdings
- Set up the MFHD to local standards for the documents material you
- Save the MFHD to the database
Creating Item Records
- Click on New Items
- Apply a barcode to the material and scan it into the Item Record
- Set up the Item Record to local standards for the documents material
you are cataloging
- Save the Item Record to the database