View From the Pedestrium - August 2008
FAQs - for students
FAQs- for faculty
Floor Plans for new addition
| First | Second | Third | Fourth |
The ARC (Automated Retrieval Collection)
What is it & how do I get a book from it?
WTOC Video on the ARC
Aerial view - August 2007.
of Ellis Wood.
Questions about the building project should be sent to Ann Hamilton
at email@example.com or
912 478-5115. She is also available to discuss the project with any interested
group or class.
Return to Henderson Library
Last updated 4/29/10.
Henderson Library Fact Sheet
- The expansion/renovation project began in summer 2004 and
was completed in August 2008.
- The completed building is as large as a city block. The total square footage of the library is 235,000. A
helpful feature is the color coding of the carpet by floor: Green
– first, Blue – second, Red – third, and Purple - fourth.
See floor plans: First | Second | Third | Fourth (PDF)
- The $22.75 million project added 101,000-square
foot to the original building.
- The expanded building was designed more for
people than for books.
- Floor to ceiling windows are featured throughout
with seating at all the outer edges and the collections nearer the
- By the end of 2008, there will be more
than 1900 seats and twenty-nine group study rooms available.
- The new Learning Commons (second floor) offers
bright, flexible seating for group collaboration, faculty – student
collaboration and research, and multimedia creation and projection.
- The Automated Retrieval Collection (ARC) is
currently capable of storing 800,000 items in 5,848 separate bins that
are stacked 45 feet high is one of the most exciting features of the
- When the ARC is expanded to its full capacity
the building will be large enough to house a collection of more than
two million items.
- There will be more than 300 hard wired computers
and wireless is available throughout the building.
- A welcome addition to the original building is the rear entrance
that allows access from the parking lot.
- The library is open almost 24 x 7. During regular terms,
it’s only closed from ten pm on Friday until 9:00 am on Saturday
and from 10:00 pm on Saturday until noon on Sunday. See schedule.
- The striking three-story glass atrium with
its virtual waterfall is a highlight of the eastern addition.
- The L shaped western addition features a cathedral
ceiling on the third floor with impressive views from both the third
and fourth floors.
ceiling and wall - March 2008