June 9 faculty workshop on copyright and the new USG copyright policy
Zach S. Henderson Library and the Office of Legal Affairs present
The New USG Copyright Policy, and Using Copyrighted Works: What Is and Isn’t Considered Fair Use
Tuesday, June 9, 2009, 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Room 1300, Henderson Library (bottom floor)
The correct application of Fair Use in the college and university setting is often confusing and difficult to determine. In order to avoid having to pay statutory damages or worse, it is critical that everyone who is using copyrighted works for educational purposes knows exactly what they can and can’t use.
- Fair Use Decisions: Tips for Making Correct Determinations
- Instructions for applying the fair use factors
- How Fair Use affects handouts and other course materials
- The T.E.A.C.H. Act, and other exemptions: What you need to know
- Effect of Fair Use on Internet, Digital & Other Content
- Use and creation of digital materials: Keys to compliance
- Using copyrighted works in course management software
- Fair Use & Creating web pages for your courses
- Fair Use Liability Issues for Colleges & Universities
- Personal and institutional liability issues you need to know
- The latest legal and policy development affecting Fair Use
- What copyright compliance means to your institution
- Explanation of new University System of Georgia Copyright Policy and the responsibilities the policy places on faculty
Kevin Smith is the Scholarly Communications Officer at Duke University. He holds a Masters of Library Science from Kent State University and a law degree from Capital University. He is admitted to the bar in Ohio and North Carolina. Kevin serves on Duke University’s Intellectual Property Board, the American Library Association’s Committee on Legislation Subcommittee on Intellectual Property and on the faculty of the Association of Research Libraries’ Institute on Scholarly Communications.
Lee Davis is Associate Vice President for Legal Affairs, Georgia Southern University.
Bede Mitchell is Dean of the Zach S. Henderson Library, Georgia Southern University
Posted in Events and Exhibits